Witness the internationally known phenomenon of the buzzards’ (also known as turkey vultures) return to Cleveland Metroparks Buzzard Roost in Hinckley Reservation on Saturday, March 15 starting at 7 a.m. While everyone is quite confident of the day, the exact time of their return depends on the birds themselves. But, just remember – no one spots a buzzard ’til the “Official Buzzard Spotter” spots one first!
Join Sharon Hosko, Cleveland Metroparks “Official Buzzard Spotter” and Brecksville Nature Center manager, for a welcome home party for these remarkable birds. Visitors near and far armed with binoculars and cameras flock to Hinckley Reservation to wait for the official spotting of the season’s first buzzard – a sure sign of spring’s return.
And the celebration of the buzzards’ return continues on Sunday, March 16 at the Buzzard Sunday event at Hinckley Reservation’s Buzzard Roost from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. This free event features a variety of fun buzzard activities and entertainment:
Hikes and Tours
Hikes – 9:15 a.m., 10:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
Bus tours of Hinckley Reservation – 10 a.m., 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m
Live Birds of Prey Programs – 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Live music performances featuring Cleveland Metroparks historical interpreter and naturalist Foster Brown at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Buzzard puppet shows by Cleveland Metroparks naturalist Mindy Murdock and the Naturepiece Theater at 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m.
- Cleveland Metroparks official buzzard apparel and merchandise available for purchase. Also available at Hinckley Lake Boathouse & Store.
- Buzzard mural photo opportunity – have fun snapping photos of family and friends with their heads peeking out from the face cutouts of a buzzard and buzzard spotter.
- Buzzard Scoreboard – watch the official tally board for updates on how many buzzards have been spotted and the largest kettle (group of buzzards) spotted.
- Cleveland Metroparks Outdoor Recreation station – sample disc golf and see if you can toss the disc into the basket.
- Buzzard bean bag toss game.
- Kids craft – create a buzzard mask to wear.
- Refreshments – tasty treats available for purchase.
The Buzzard Roost is located at the corner of State Road and West Drive in Hinckley Reservation in Hinckley Township. Free shuttle bus service is available from the Spillway and Sledding Hill parking lots to the Buzzard Roost.
For more information, visit clevelandmetroparks.com or call 440-526-1012.
Join the buzzard welcome home party at the Buzzard Roost in Hinckley Reservation of Cleveland Metroparks – Discover, Enjoy, Protect!
Press release submitted by:
SUE ALLEN – 216-635-3338, email@example.com
HOLLY KECK – 216-635-3253, firstname.lastname@example.org