Every year we receive 100’s of emails asking for ideas of things to do over the summer in Northern Ohio. With this in mind, we have come up with “50” we hope inspiring ideas.
Not only have we come up with a list of “50” things to do, we challenge you to grab your family and friends and see how many you can accomplish over the summer. And if you decide to take on all or part of this summer challenge, we would appreciate you sharing a few of your photos as well as your comments on our Facebook account.
Time to get up and explore our Ohio!
- See a Cleveland Orchestra Concert at Blossom Music Center
- Check out the animals at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and Rain Forest (Cuyahoga County)
- Inspect the art at the Cleveland Art Museum (Cuyahoga County)
- Take a train ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (Summit County)
- Spend a day shopping on our country’s first paved coast-to-coast road, the Lincoln Highway, for the annual Buy-Way Yard Sale. (August 9-11, 2012) (Wayne County)
- Ride the hand carved carrousel at Richland Carrousel Park
- Take a ride on the St. Helena III Canal Boat, Canal Fulton (Stark County)
- Experience the sites and smells of the Cleveland Botanical Gardens (Cuyahoga County)
- Go charter fishing on Lake Erie. (Check Lake County Visitor Bureau listings)
- Experience “Trumpet in the Land”, Ohio’s premier and longest running outdoor theatre production (Tuscarawas County)
- Take a Miller Ferry Boat ride to Put-in-Bay and enjoy Lobster Bisque from The Boardwalk
- Relive history at Century Village Museum (Geauga County)
- Take an authentic Amish Buggy ride at Ma and Pa’s.
- Go on a ghost tour of Lake County History Center (Lake County)
- Reflect at the beauty and history found at Lakeview Cemetery and visit the Garfield Monument (Cuyahoga County)
- Take a behind the scenes tour of Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens (Summit County)
- Check out the planes at the MAPS Air Museum (Stark County)
- Explore the home and grounds of President James A. Garfield (Lake County)
- Enjoy an ice cream sundae and home tour at The Hower House Victorian Mansion’s Annual Ice Cream Social – July 15, 2012 (Summit County)
- Take in an Indians baseball game (Cuyahoga County)
- Get inspired by the gardens at the Holden Arboretum (Lake County)
- Visit Brandywine Falls, Cuyahoga Valley National Park (Summit County)
- Enjoy exploring historic Zoar Village
- Enjoy any one of the Ashtabula County Wineries. (Ashtabula County)
- Catch up on your Rock-n-Roll history at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (Cuyahoga County)
- Enjoy a pancake breakfast with real maple syrup in Burton Ohio – Pancake USA (Geauga County)
- Check out the 64 ebony, ivory and walnut train carvings at the Warther Museum (Tuscarawas County)
- Enjoy a FREE concert at a local park.
- Enjoy a canoe ride at Mohican Adventures. (Mohican-Loudonville)
- Take a bike ride in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- Shop at an area Farmer’s Market
- Get scared on a ghost hunt at the Ohio State Reformatory. (Richland County)
- Sample cheese at the various Cheese factories in Amish Country
- Watch a cowboy mounted shooting exhibition at NoOutlaws (Wayne County)
- Enjoy a play at Playhouse Square, Rabbit Run Theatre, Porthouse Theatre or The Weathervane Theatre
- Watch real native Indians at the Great Mohican POW-WOW
(July 13-15, 2012) (Mohican-Loudonville)
- Drive to Geauga County and enjoy a delicious Amish pie.
- Step into the past at Lanterman’s Mill, explore an old log cabin and all the geologic history of Mill Creek Metroparks. (Mahoning County)
- Explore Marblehead Lighthouse. In use since 1822, this is the oldest continually operating lighthouse on the Great Lakes. (Erie County)
- Venture down into the USS Cod Submarine. (Cuyahoga County)
- Go camping at an Ohio State Park or any of our wonderful local parks.
- Experience an Ohio County Fair.
- Fly thru tree tops on a Zip Line. (Mohican-Loudonville)
- Explore Ohio’s first settlement – Schoenbrunn (Tuscarawas County)
- Play with duct tape at the Avon Heritage Duct Tape Festival (June 15-17, 2012)
- Take a picture by all the covered bridges in Ashtabula County (Ashtabula County)
- Check out all the “Twins” at the Twins Day Festival (August 3-5, 2012) (Summit County)
- Enjoy an old-fashioned drive-in movie. (Medina County)
- Take a Northcoast Grapevine Wine Tour.
- Try a different type of church festival – The 49th Annual St. Joseph’s Ox Roast Fair , Mantua
(July 20-22, 2012) (Portage County)
For further information about any of the above summer ideas or for more ideas see NorthernOhioTourism.com.